Being a chapter leader is a great opportunity for you to develop new skills or build on skills and interests that you have.
As a YNPN chapter leader, you're running a small nonprofit organization in your spare time. You may think of the work you do on your local board as just getting the job done, but in the process you are developing meaningful (and marketable) skills.
Some of the skills you might develop as a Chapter Leader include:
- Strategic planning experience
- Management and collaborations skills
- Communications and market experience
- Membership management and customer service abilities
- Fundraising skills
Being Part of the National Network: Connecting with Other Chapter Leaders
There are several opportunities to connect with other chapter leaders to improve your skills and grow your network.
Program XChanges are held twice a month, and is a platform for Chapter Leaders to come together to share their programs and events. Past Program XChange topics include mentorship programs, signature events, book clubs, and fundraising events.
Chapter Congress is the forum used to connect local YNPN chapters with YNPN National around topics and issues that affect the YNPN network.
Every year, YNPN National, in partnership with a local chapter, hosts an annual conference which brings together YNPN leaders from across the country for three days of networking, professional development, and chapter collaboration.
The Leaders' Site allows chapter leaders to share resources and connect with each other, and serves as another place for chapter leaders' voices can be heard.
We also welcome chapter leaders to take advantage of opportunities for thought leadership in the sector:
Writing for the YNPN National website or your local chapter website
Contributing writing or resources to the leaders site
- Writing for or connecting with other YNPN National partners like the Nonprofit Quarterly
Next >> New Board Member Checklist
- Introduction to YNPN’s History
- What is YNPN National and What Do We Do?
- Vision, Mission, Values, and Theory of Change
- YNPN’s Stance on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Local Chapters and National Affiliation
- Network Investment
- YNPN National Resources and Technical Assistance
- National Transparency and Accountability
- Benefits of Chapter Leadership